My primary research interests are the philosophy of mind, philosophy of perception, and cognitive science. My work includes interdisciplinary research on perception within the analytic philosophy of mind and cognitive science. Topics of study concern multisensory perception and integration, perception-cognition interface, cognitive architecture, consciousness, perceptual awareness, and the phenomenon of synesthesia.
Research Projects & Grants
2015–2019: “Perception and its relations to consciousness and cognition”, Project for Excellent Young Researchers sponsored by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan (MOST104-2628-H-010-002-MY3).
2015–2016: “Self-Consciousness and Multisensory Integration: Philosophical and Neuroscientific Perspectives”, MOST-DAAD Project-Based Personnel Exchange Programme with the CIN, Philosophy of Neuroscience Group, University of Tübingen, Germany, awarded by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan & German Academic Exchange Service (MOST104-2911-I-010 -506-MY2).
2011–2014: “Comparing Apples with Oranges: A Differential View on Neuroenhancement”, The European Platform for Life Sciences, Mind Sciences, and the Humanities, Volkswagen Foundation, Germany.
2010–2011: “Neuroframes: A Neuro-Cognitive Model of Situated Conceptualization”, Institute for Philosophy, Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf/Germany, German Research Foundation.
• 2017–2019: Award for Excellence in Research, Ministry of Science and Technology & The Office of Research and Development, National Yang-Ming University
• 2015–2017: Award for Excellence in Research, Ministry of Science and Technology
• 2013, 2014, 2015: Award for Outstanding Teaching, National Yang Ming University & Ministry of Education
• 2013–2015: Award for Excellence in Research, National Science Council
• 2012: Award for Academic Achievement, The Office of Research and Development, National Yang Ming University
Service to the Profession
Associate Editor of Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology (specialty section of Frontiers in Psychology)
Guest Associate Editor hosting the Research Topic “Perception-Cognition Interface & Cross-Modal Experiences: Insights into Unified Consciousness” in Frontiers in Consciousness Research
Review Editor: Frontiers in Psychology/Consciousness Research, Cognition
Ad Hoc Reviewer: Review of Philosophy and Psychology; Consciousness and Cognition; Phenomenology and Mind; Frontiers in Human Neuroscience; Frontiers in Psychology: Frontiers in Consciousness Research, Frontiers in Cognition; Multisensory Research; & Theoria: A Swedish Journal of Philosophy and Psychology
• MIND Group, Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies (Anniversary Collection www.open-mind.net)
• American Philosophical Association
• Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness (Conference Committee Chair 2016)
• Consciousness Research Network in the Asia-Pacific Region (Organizing & Program Committee)
• International Workshop Series on Multisensory Approaches to Human-Food Interaction (Program Committee)
• Asia-Pacific Philosophy of Science Association
• International Neuroethics Society
• Society for Neuroscience
• UK Synaesthesia Association
• German Society for Cognitive Science
• European Platform for Life Sciences, Mind Sciences, and the Humanities, Volkswagen Foundation