My primary research interests are the philosophy of mind, philosophy of perception, and cognitive science. My work includes interdisciplinary research on perception within the analytic philosophy of mind and cognitive science. Topics of study concern multisensory perception and integration, perception-cognition interface, cognitive architecture, consciousness, perceptual awareness, cognitive enhancement, and the phenomenon of synesthesia.
Research Projects & Grants
2015–2019: “Perception and its relations to consciousness and cognition”, Project for Excellent Young Researchers sponsored by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan (MOST104-2628-H-010-002-MY3), AMW: PI.
2015–2016: “Self-Consciousness and Multisensory Integration: Philosophical and Neuroscientific Perspectives”, MOST-DAAD Project-Based Personnel Exchange Programme with the Centre for Integrative Neuroscience, Philosophy of Neuroscience Group, University of Tübingen, Germany, sponsored by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan & German Academic Exchange Service (MOST104-2911-I-010 -506-MY2), AMW: co-PI.
2011–2014: “Comparing Apples with Oranges: A Differential View on Neuroenhancement”, The European Platform for Life Sciences, Mind Sciences, and the Humanities, sponsored by the Volkswagen Foundation, Germany, AMW: co-PI.
2010–2011: “Neuroframes: A Neuro-Cognitive Model of Situated Conceptualization”, Department of Philosophy, Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf, sponsored by the German Research Foundation, AMW: research fellow.
Associate Editor: Frontiers in Psychology, Section: Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology
Guest Associate Editor: Frontiers in Psychology, Section: Consciousness Research, Research Topic “Perception-Cognition Interface & Cross-Modal Experiences: Insights into Unified Consciousness”
Review Editor: Frontiers in Psychology (Consciousness Research; Cognition)
Ad Hoc Reviewer: Review of Philosophy and Psychology; Consciousness and Cognition; Frontiers in Human Neuroscience; Frontiers in Psychology: Frontiers in Consciousness Research, Frontiers in Cognition; Multisensory Research; Theoria: A Swedish Journal of Philosophy and Psychology; Phenomenology and Mind; Vision Research; Experimental Brain Research; Psychonomic Bulletin & Review
• American Philosophical Association
• Society for Neuroscience
• Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness (Conference Committee 2013-2016; Committee Chair 2016)
• Consciousness Research Network in the Asia-Pacific Region (Organizing & Program Committee 2017)
• International Workshop Series on Multisensory Approaches to Human-Food Interaction (Program Committee 2018)
• MIND Group, Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies (Anniversary Collection www.open-mind.net)
• Asia-Pacific Philosophy of Science Association
• International Neuroethics Society
• UK Synaesthesia Association
• German Society for Cognitive Science
• European Platform for Life Sciences, Mind Sciences, and the Humanities, Volkswagen Foundation
Awards & Scholarships:
• 2017-2019, 2015–2017: Award for Excellence in Research, Ministry of Science and Technology
• 2013, 2014, 2015: Award for Outstanding Teaching, National Yang-Ming University & Ministry of Education
• 2013–2015: Award for Excellence in Research, National Science Council
• 2012: Award for Academic Achievement, The Office of Research and Development, National Yang-Ming University
• 2009: Summer School Scholarship Award – Summer University “Memory and Mind: Learning and Representing Structures in the Brain”, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
• 2007-2010: Doctoral Scholarship from the Barbara-Wengeler-Foundation for interdisciplinary dissertations in the field of philosophy and neurosciences (offer accepted)
• 2007-2010: Doctoral Scholarship from the Friedrich Naumann Foundation (offer declined)
• 2003-2004: Erasmus Exchange Programme – scholarship for graduate studies at the Department of Philosophy, University of Konstanz, Germany
• 2003: Summer School Scholarship Award – Summer University of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Saarland University, Saarbruecken, Germany