My primary research interests are the philosophy of mind, philosophy of perception, and cognitive science. My work includes interdisciplinary research on perception within the analytic philosophy of mind and cognitive science. Topics of study concern multisensory perception and integration, perception-cognition interface, cognitive architecture, consciousness, perceptual awareness, and the phenomenon of synesthesia.
Research Projects & Grants:
2018–2019: “Multisensory perception”, MOST-FWO International Collaboration Programme with the Centre for Philosophical Psychology and European Network for Sensory Research, University of Antwerp, Belgium; sponsors: Ministry of Science and Technology & Research Foundation Flanders [in preparation].
2015–2018: “Perception and its relations to consciousness and cognition”, Project for Excellent Young Researchers sponsored by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan (MOST104-2628-H-010-002-MY3).
2015–2016: “Self-Consciousness and Multisensory Integration: Philosophical and Neuroscientific Perspectives”, MOST-DAAD Project-Based Personnel Exchange Programme with the CIN, Philosophy of Neuroscience Group, University of Tübingen, Germany, awarded by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan & German Academic Exchange Service (MOST104-2911-I-010 -506-MY2).
2011–2014: “Comparing Apples with Oranges: A Differential View on Neuroenhancement”, The European Platform for Life Sciences, Mind Sciences, and the Humanities, Volkswagen Foundation, Germany.
2010–2011: “Neuroframes: A Neuro-Cognitive Model of Situated Conceptualization”, Institute for Philosophy, Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf/Germany, German Research Foundation.
• Nominated for 2017 Ministry of Science and Technology Ta-You Wu Memorial Research Award, Ministry of Science and Technology
• 2015–2017: Award for Excellence in Research, Ministry of Science and Technology
• 2013, 2014, 2015: Award for Outstanding Teaching, National Yang Ming University & Ministry of Education
• 2013–2015: Award for Excellence in Research, National Science Council
• 2012: Award for Academic Achievement, The Office of Research and Development, National Yang Ming University
Service to the Profession
Associate Editor of Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology (specialty section of Frontiers in Psychology)
Guest Associate Editor hosting the Research Topic “Perception-Cognition Interface & Cross-Modal Experiences: Insights into Unified Consciousness” in Frontiers in Consciousness Research
Review Editor: Frontiers in Psychology/Consciousness Research, Cognition
Ad Hoc Reviewer: Review of Philosophy and Psychology; Consciousness and Cognition; Phenomenology and Mind; Frontiers in Human Neuroscience; Frontiers in Psychology: Frontiers in Consciousness Research, Frontiers in Cognition; Multisensory Research; & Theoria: A Swedish Journal of Philosophy and Psychology
- MIND Group, Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies (Anniversary Collection www.open-mind.net)
- Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness (Conference Committee 2013-2016, Chair 2016)
- European Platform for Life Sciences, Mind Sciences, and the Humanities, Volkswagen Foundation
- American Philosophical Association
- International Neuroethics Society
- Society for Neuroscience
- UK Synaesthesia Association
- German Society for Cognitive Science